Monday, February 9, 2009

this lullaby by Sarah Dessen

Definitely a young adult book and not one for intermediate. That being said, I think this book deals well with some powerful themes.

All I knew about the seventies was what I'd learned in school and from the History Channel: Vietnam, President Carter, disco.

Don would become my stepfather, joining a not-so-exclusive group.

Not that I liked the setting, particularly; the place was a total dump, mostly because four guys lived there and none of them had ever been introduced formally to a bottle of Lysol.

Point two: he was a slob. His shirttail was always out, his tie usually had a stain, his hair, while curly and thick, sprung out from his head wildly in a mad-scientist sort of fashion. Also, his shoelaces were continually untied. He was all loose ends, and I hated loose ends.

People like Dexter followed risks the way dogs followed smells, thinking only of what could lie ahead and never logically of what probably did.

Good passage for a freewrite:

After all, Paul met just about every criteria on my guy list. He was tall. Good-looking. Had no annoying personal habits. Was older than me but not by more than three years. Was a decent dresser but didn't shop more than I did. Fell within the acceptable limits in terms of personal hygiene (i.e., aftershave and cologne yes, mousse and fake tan, no). Was smart enough to carry on good conversation but not an eggbert. But the big whammy, the tipping point, was that he was leaving at the end of the summer and we'd already established that we would part as friends and go our separate ways.

As a firm believer in the rip-it-off-like-a-Band-Aid school of bad news, I had to tell her.


No comments: