Wednesday, November 19, 2008

More Carl Hiaasen - Flush

The deputy told me to empty my pockets: two quarters, a penny, a stick of bubble gum, and a roll of grip tape for my skateboard. (p. 1)

I was actually born in a 1989 Chevrolet Caprice on U.S. Highway One, my dad racing up the eighteen-mile stretch from Key Largo to the mainland. (p. 5)

Over the years Abbey and I developed a pretty good system: She keeps an eye on Mon, and I keep an eye on Dad. (p. 5)

I remember Mom's eyes narrowing when Dad told us the story-- it was the same look I get whenever I tell her I'm done with my homework and she knows better. (p. 15)

Summer mornings are mostly sunny and still, though by midafternoon huge boiling thunderheads start to build over the Everglades, and the weather can get interesting in a hurry. (p. 27)

I remember thinking of something clever to say, but all I could do was squeak like a leaking balloon. (p. 107)

It was one of those bright hazy days with no horizon, when the sea and the sky melt together in a pale blue infinity (p. 136)

She laughed -- one of those tired, what-was-I-thinking laughs. (p. 147)

No comments: