Monday, March 5, 2012

Saving Grace by Lee Smith




A book about a girl-teen-woman growing up with a snake-handling, hell-raising preacher for a father. Definitely NOT recommended for young people, but it is well written.

I am and always have been contentous and ornery, full of fear and doubt in a family of believers.

I remember them shoveling dirt onto Mama's pine box, and how it turned into runny red mud in the rain, and Ruth Duty kneeling and getting all muccy ad they had to help her up.

Then I don't remember anything at all for a long time, until one day when I kind of came back to myself and found that I was sitting in Ruth and Carlton's kitchen, at their round oak table, eating homemade vegetable soup out of a blue bowl with a big spoon that said "U.S. Navy" on it. I was surprised to see that it was still summer, and that I was still alive. The soup was delicious.

"And do you know," she said, leaning forward in a kitchen chair, one hand on each kneww, "do you know, she was pregnant with that baby for ten months with no sign of labor, until the doctors gave up and done a Sicilian?"


No comments: