Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Few Sentences From "All Over but the Shoutin'" by Rick Bragg

He stops at my desk and leans against it. I do not remember exactly what he said but it was something to the effect of, "I know we said we would try to get you some gentle editing, but..." and my heart froze.
"... but we had to change the comma in your lead."

Instead I found my friends on the photo staff, a collection of delightful, smart, cranky, streetwise, and often fearless artists and weirdos who knew this city frontward, backward and sideways, and consented to let me ride along.

You do the best you can for the people left, a yard-fighting, teeth-gnashing, ugly-dog-raising, towel-stealing, television-praying, never-forgiving, hard-headed people that you love with all the strength in your body, once you finally figure out that they are who you are, and, in many ways, all there is.

No comments: